Thank you to everyone for your kind words and realistic comments. I needed all of your reassurance and years of experience with these things to make me feel better about the pickle of a situation we're in.
As I was browsing blogs last night for ICLW, I found an article that spoke of the Fresh vs Frozen transfer research. I don't know which blog I found it on (sorry!), but I was able to track the article down again. It's an interesting read that discusses how some clinics have studied using FET instead of fresh transfers to increase the safety of IVF and in some cases increase the pregnancy rates. It was a very timely find for me and really put my mind at ease. Give it a read.
I didn't explain my RE's the reasoning very well last night I don't think because I got a lot of questions about why he would transfer on day 3 but not day 5.
His thought it:
*The safest for me and probably the best pregnancy outcomes will come from delaying transfer until next cycle.
*We have elected to attempt to grow our embaby(ies) to 5 days so we can transfer the least amount of embryos. (Our clinic is big on single transfer for women less than 35 if possible to decrease multiples.)
*If at day 3 the embryo quality does not look ideal, growing to 5 days might not be a good option because we would likely lose embryos in the growing process, so we would use the 3 day embryos instead.
*If the quality of the embryos at day 3 is not good, there is a risk that they would not survive the freeze/thaw process, leaving us with few or no embryos to FET next cycle.
*If that was the case, he/we would weigh the risks and benefits of transferring at day 3 and risking OHSS vs the risk of not ending up with any embryos.
As much as I would love to get some babies growing in the ute, I hope that we don't have to discuss that 3 day transfer option!
I am officially "triggered" and am sending good thoughts and vibes to my big ass ovaries to produce some good quality eggs! By the way, speaking of eggs...did I mention that the RE who did my scan yesterday compared me to a chicken with all my eggs!? Ha! Never thought I'd be compared to a chicken!
Thanks for all of your well wishes!
Thanks for all of your well wishes!
Thanks for sharing that article, it was a very interesting read. I wish I hadn't read the comments though! Man, some people are just horrible!
ReplyDeleteHi Emily! That was a great article to read. Thanks for stopping by my blog and Happy ICLW. I would love to pick your brain about NICU nursing anytime--how you ended up doing it, etc. I did 12 twelves in NICU at the very end of nursing school last year. I loved it, but I felt like the emotional toll of working in an environment where things hit me a bit harder than they do elsewhere might be unhealthy for me eventually. I felt like a few of the parents were really hard for me to be ok with sending a baby home with. I had some of those "why do they get their baby and I don't get mine" kind of thoughts, and I try really hard not to live my life that way. One of the jobs I've been offered for post pregnancy is in L&D which I think might be a good place to test the waters? My email is up on my blog--if this is getting too long for the comments section, send me a note.
ReplyDeleteOn another note, I'm sending your "big ass ovaries" positive, egg-producing thoughts!