Retrieval day!!!
This was a loooong time coming, but when I woke up today I had no nerves, not really and crazy excitement. I just was. I don't know, this whole thing is quite surreal to me. Part of the "problem" is that I don't really feel different. Stims were very uneventful for me. I felt my ovaries for sure, but they weren't necessarily uncomfortable, I was just more aware of them. (Probably partly because the thought of ovarian torsion freaks me out and I didn't want to do anything that would potentially flip those babies around on themselves.) Yesterday I almost wondered if I could have ovulated some of my eggs early or something because the heavy, full ovary feeling was basically gone.
Anyway...I'll move on. I'm lucky and did not have discomfort.
Today my retrieval was scheduled for 9:30 am with a 9:00am check in for preparation.
I arrived and was led to a changing room where I donned a gown and paper hat and booties (over my knee high cozy socks). I was then led to a pre-warmed chair and covered in warm blankets. When I win the lottery I will have a blanket warmer in my bedroom. The Nurses went through the pre-op checklist of "have you ever had -...-?" questions and started my IV. By the way, the IV was a monster. I didn't catch the gauge, but I'm pretty sure it was a hose. She popped it in on the first try, but my hand still hurts from that thing. I then was started on IV fluids and got an IV antibiotic.
The anesthesiologist came over, ran through a series of basically the same "have you ever had -...-?" questions and then gave me my drug cocktail. By the time I walked back to the retrieval room I was definitely feeling the effects of it!
I put my legs (yes, pretty much the whole leg goes in) into the massive stirrups and the rest is anesthesia history! The next thing I knew, I was waking up for quite a delightful nap in the recovery area. Mr Hubby was brought back and we chatted for a while as I woke up and then The REs came back to check in and tell us that we got 21 eggs.
I was a little surprised that it wasn't more based upon how they kept going on about how I was such an egg machine, but I am 100% happy with the 21! After some cranberry juice and some graham crackers, we were on our way! A quick stop at Whole Foods for a snack and some Gatorade, and now back at home.
I am feeling really good right now, pretty rested from my power nap :) and not having pain. I'm spotting a little bit and am trying to lay low for the day despite feeling like I could do something productive. Later today I will start my methilpredisolone and progesterone just in case the transfer does happen on day 3, but otherwise I will just be anxiously awaiting the fertilization report tomorrow afternoon and watching crappy daytime TV.
Now, for all of you that have traveled this journey before me, any awesome tips for warding off OHSS or for general recovery? It's hard for me to imagine that I could blow up like a big balloon now since I haven't had any bloating so far, but I've heard it's worse after retrieval. Always something to look forward to ;)
Salty soups, gatorade by the truckload and resting! If you are one of the unlucky ones that has constipation from anesthesia, get some nopalina or some colace and that will help with that! Lots of rest and taking it easy! 21 is a great number!
ReplyDeleteI drank lots of Gatorade and Powerade too. Great job, Emily! So glad to hear you got 21! (Lucky number!) Looking forward to your fert. report tomorrow!
ReplyDelete21 eggs sounds pretty good!! Good luck!
ReplyDeleteEmily, congrats on your 21! Look forward to hearing about your fertilization report. I'll cross everything! Also, I just developed a serious craving for cranberry juice and graham crackers. My mouth is watering!
ReplyDeleteOh that's such great news! 21 sounds like an amazing number! :)
ReplyDelete21 eggs sounds great. I hope you're able to ward off the OHSS. I went with a lot of gatorade as well. The nurses suggest some fruit/vegetable free diet, but I just couldn't do it. I think there's a fair number of suggestions online as well.
ReplyDeleteCongrats on your retrieval!! I also had 21 eggs taken out and thought there would have been more. However, more out means higher chance for ohss so it really is a good number. I kept ohss off with first, a lupron trigger, but also endless bottles of gatorade and powerade zero (didnt want the sugar) and salty foods and soups. And relaxation. Good luck!
ReplyDeleteYay! Congratulations on the retrieval! 21 sounds like a fantastic number! Super hopeful that you will get a great fertilization report!
ReplyDeleteCongrats on 21 eggs! I hope that you are able to keep OHSS at bay!
ReplyDelete