Wednesday, March 13, 2013

Natural It Is

FET cycle that is. Because clearly nothing else about our baby-making has been natural.

I had a consult with my RE today to discuss which way to go: Natural or medicated Frozen Embryo Transfer. I was *kind of* leaning towards medicated before our talk for fear of a cancelled cycle due to me not ovulating, but Dr. Tran brought up some good points for us to consider. 

No medications for 6 weeks. I didn't have any weird side effects from the Lupron, but the thought of being medication free for almost 6 weeks is kind of nice. Especially since immediately after, I will be getting jabbed with a big, fat progesterone shot in the booty for many weeks. 

Second point well made by the Doc: we have waited a long time for this. My first reaction was "Yes. So cancelling a cycle would make me wait EVEN LONGER! NO!!!" But the chances that the cycle would be cancelled are pretty low. And honestly, what is one month in the grand scheme of things? Pretty minor. I am a firm believer that we will get a baby in my uterus eventually, and the less I try to schedule it out, the better for my mental health. I'm going to trust my body one last time to do the right thing and ovulate :) And if it doesn't: next month Lupron!

Since I was pretty on the fence about which way to go, because he was leaning towards natural, we're going with it. 

I also clarified some questions I had about how the FET process would actually go.

How do they pick which to thaw? And how many? What if they don't thaw well? Thaw the best embryo and pop it in. If it doesn't thaw well there is time to thaw another and put that one in. 
Sounds reasonable.

Based on the quality and quantity of the embryos we have, is the plan to still transfer one?
He said I would have to break his arm to convince him to transfer more than one. 
Alrighty then :) I am totally on board with this, but definitely gave me a chuckle.

I'm definitely excited about this, but trying very hard to remain calm and not think about it too much. Ha.

8 comments:

  1. Congrats on having a plan! Natural was def the way to go for me. I'm guessing when you say 6 weeks, that means you're transferring next cycle and not this one? Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The break from meds will do wonders for making you feel normal again - only good things will come of this! Best of luck!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with everybody else - as aggravating as the wait is, the time off really does help you rebalance in so many ways.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Woo hoo! A natural FET will be a nice break from the horrendous meds!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is great. It will be so nice to not have all those hormones pumping through you. Not until they are the preggo hormones that we want to see!

    ReplyDelete
  6. It's always to nice to have a plan. I met with my RE today to talk about plans and she was a big proponent of going natural for my FET, so I'm going to take the plunge too. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've been curious about what a natural FET would look like, so I'm excited to see how yours goes. Also, Dr. Tran is so amusing!

    ReplyDelete