Saturday, March 2, 2013

Grow Babies, Grow!

Day 3 Success. 

Out of our 18 embabies, 15 are Grade 1 Champs and 3 are Grade 2 or 3. I will be cheering them on like a proud Mama for the next two or three days until they are hopefully ready for the deep freeze.

Dr. Tran brought up a couple options for our FET that we have a little time to think about...well, I guess technically we have the two weeks until I get my period to decide. He said we could choose a natural cycle or a controlled cycle and that we would discuss more when we get closer. My understanding is, with a natural cycle I would not be on any medications (BCP or Lupron) and we would transfer the embryo timed with my natural ovulation.
With a controlled cycle I would start BCP and lupron as I did with IVF instead. 

Right now I think we are leaning towards a controlled cycle because it eliminates the possibility of the cycle getting cancelled because ovulation either doesn't happen or because it happens at a totally weird time. He said the costs are about the same, but with a controlled cycle there are medication costs and with a natural there are more ultrasound costs. I think my insurance coverage for Lupron is better than my coverage for more ultrasounds. 

Does anyone have experience with either? I would love to know your thoughts.

Grow Babies, grow!!!

8 comments:

  1. I did a natural fet. I didn't feel like I had a lot of ultrasounds. I did baseline, then had my 2nd more than a week later. I'd say by o, I had 4 - 6 ultrasounds and blood draws. My o was determined by blooddraw the day before and after so no ultrasounds there at all. The only meds I was on was pio shots and 2mg of estrace the day after o. I had a 6 day transfer of 1 expanded blast and got my first ever bfp at 5dp6dt. And that's a big deal cause I've never ever had a bfp in over 4 years of ttc. Oh, another plus is since we didn't need a trigger, I had no confusion about if this was a real bfp or not. I will def do a natural again for baby #2 after this one is born. Good luck with your decision. Whatever you choose, hope it leads to a bfp.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That should read "starting the day after o" as I am still on these meds.

      Delete
  2. Hey! Just found your blog and wanted to add my 2 cents (since I rarely have useful advice for anyone, so this feels like my moment).

    I also just did a natural FET, and it was such a welcome break from the injections. You wrote in a recent post asking how long it takes to "feel normal" - well, for me that's what did it...giving my body a break from injections. It made sense for me to go natural since our infertility is 100% male factor, but I actually did not ovulate on schedule. I went for a baseline blood and U/S day 3, back a week later, then one more after that. When they saw that I had not ovulated as expected they gave me some nasal spray to induce ovulation and I did not have to go back before the transfer(phew). My embryo transfer just happened a few days ago so I am technically in 2ww world and cannot speak to the success of the cycle, but I can say that if it doesn't work I would do natural again.

    Best of luck with your decision and sending you good thoughts!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Amazing numbers!!! So happy for you!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. We attempted a natural fet but it got cancelled due to my lining and no ovulation. Then we went with a controlled and got pregnant with twins, so I would definitely opt for the controlled cycle.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I would opt for controlled as studies have shown that they have a higher success rate than natural.. When we do our FET with my SIL at the end of the year for baby#2 it will be a controlled FET as well.. Best of luck with whatever you decide, just weigh out what the RE feels will give you the best chances! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I really liked our FET protocol, I guess you would call it controlled, which didn't involve BCP or Lupron. No shots at all! I just took estrogen pills 2x/day for about three weeks, then they did a suppression check and when all looked good, I started the PEO shots for five days before transfer. Those BCP/Lupron FET cycles are sooo long. I asked my RE's why we weren't doing that protocol and they said this was a newer protocol that has been shown to have better success rates. Might be worth asking about as it was so much quicker and easier! Congratulations on great fertilization and growth numbers!

    ReplyDelete