This morning I started bleeding. It was pretty much my worst nightmare coming to life when I saw those drops of blood on my underwear. Then when I wiped and it kept coming I went into a state of...not sure, I guess focused devastation.
We went into the hospital to be checked and experience such a spectrum of emotions. The first nurse we spoke to was reassuring that this could be normal and hopefully just a part of my normal pregnancy. A bump in the road.
The first doctor we saw was a resident that I now think of as Satan. She was doom and gloom to the max. She did a cervical exam and saw no new blood, but a bit of old blood on my cervix. Then she did the ultrasound and found the heartbeat right away. Nothing about that was reassuring to me, mostly because I've watched this story play out before through so many of you, and the news isn't always good even when there is still a heartbeat. Then she proceeded to say, "the most common reason for bleeding at this time is miscarriage" and walk me though what a miscarriage will look like if it happens to me. She also said that it will be labeled a threatened abortion.
Then my OB, who happened to be there today came in and had me go over what was going on. She was much more positive and had more of a "let's hope for the best" approach. Better, but not sunshine and butterflies.
We're leaving for what was to be a relaxing trip to Kauai tomorrow. I'm not sure how relaxing it will be, but at least now that lounging is going to be the name of my game, I'll have a good place to do that in. No hiking or kayaking for me!
I can't believe this...please let this be "normal". At nine weeks miscarriage rates are 0.5%, why oh why do I always seem to be part of the less than 1%?
Did they check your progesterone level? Are you using suppositories? If your progesterone level is/was low it could cause bleeding, simply increasing your progesterone (PIO or suppositories or orally) could remedy that. Also suppositories are notorious for causing bleeding, because the blood supply is so rich in your uterus/cervix, the suppository can cause irritation or you can nick it when you are inserting. I have seen all of these things be the reason. Sending up some prayers for you that it's totally normal and nothing serious! HUGS!
ReplyDeletePraying for you!! I'm hopeful that your (amazing) vacation will be just what you need!
ReplyDeletePraying against miscarriage and the spirit of fear and that you enjoy every second of that vacation!
ReplyDeleteBleeding is scary as hell, but it really can be quite normal. I bled for both of my IVF pregnancies. Once for 2 months straight. It sucked. But I went on to have healthy babies. Just take care of yourself, body and mind, and know blood is very common. Big hugs!!!
ReplyDeleteI bled at 6 weeks from my IVF pregnancy! It's very, very common! Especially if it's old blood, it could just be a blood clot that's working it's way out. That's what mine was. At least half of all the pregnant women I've known have had bleeding in early pregnancy. The nurse at my RE's office told me she didn't even know she was pregnant for 4 MONTHS because she thought she kept getting her period! So hang in there baby, I hope the bleeding stops soon and you can enjoy Hawaii.
ReplyDeleteSaying lots of prayers for you! All you can do now is try to relax and have a good time on vacay.
ReplyDeletePrayers coming your way!!
ReplyDeleteJust hoping for the best for you. Sending safe thoughts <3
ReplyDeleteOh nothing is scarier than blood, I KNOW, but please be reassured that 9 times out of 10 its just bleeding for no discernible reason, not for... that bad reason. Plus it sounds like there wasn't event that much! You're past the shakiest, scariest part and that heartbeat should be reassurance, because it's such a good sign! Ignore Dr. Satan and have an amazing vacation. Sending you so many good vibes right now, big hugs all around.
ReplyDeletePraying for you! I know how scary seeing that blood can be.
ReplyDeleteSo scary! I hope all is well. I also bled in early pregnancy (6 weeks), old blood, and all was well in the end. My thoughts are with you!
ReplyDeleteHey! Just catching up on blogs! I am so sorry to hear about the spotting...I know first hand how scary that can be. I had bleeding/spotting at 10 weeks with our babe and everything turned out fine! I remember just sobbing and my poor husband didn't know what to do or say. My mom calmed me down over the phone so I could hold it together to call my RE the next morning. The spotting slowed and went away over the course of the next few days. Such an awful experience, though, especially in the world of infertility where we know way too much about everything that might (but probably WON'T go wrong). I was glad to read your update that it sounds like all is well with you and your little one :)
ReplyDelete