Tuesday, April 16, 2013

Natural feels very...NOT natural

I had my baseline ultrasound yesterday and my ovaries look "quiet". Fab. Moving on to FET as planned. 
Next appointment is scheduled for next Wednesday (cycle day 11) and I will start ovulation testing next Tuesday. I think I'm going to be super anal and test twice daily as my acupuncturist once recommended. The last thing I need is to miss my ovulation or something.

Here is where I need some serious help/reassurance. I clarified the plan for my natural FET and all of this naturalness is really starting to freak me out. Has anyone out there done a natural FET??? 
No progesterone at all? Now don't get me wrong, missing out on a nightly shot in the butt sounds more than a little awesome. But....

Has anyone successfully been able to trust their body to do the right thing? My mind is not adjusting well to the idea of not doing anything at all when the original plan was to do everything.
I'm going to talk with my RE about my concerns, but I have a feeling he is going to reassure me that they will monitor, etc and not to worry. I know we have a lot of frozen babes in there, but I don't want to waste any on a "we thought your body would make its only progesterone, but it didn't" situations. I also have always had a weird feeling that my progesterone might drop just after the normal CD 21 that they test it on because every 9 DPO, I feel a weird shift and I know I'm going to get my period even though it doesn't come for many more days.

What do you all think? Am I being paranoid? Should I use the progesterone that I already have in my possession from scheduled fresh transfer ;)

18 comments:

  1. We attempted a natural fet and it was cancelled due to my lining. I was so bummed, but then we followed with a medicated fet and my body responded so much better. I was put on estrogen patches and progesterone and it was successful.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wouldn't do anything (progesterone) without talking it out with your doc. My doc was ok with a natural cycle but we ended up not doing it. I think it's a wonderful idea, but if it makes you happier, ask for progesterone (even suppositories) to supplement.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I did a natural cycle FET and it WAS successful (for 8 weeks, anyway...), so relax and it will happen! OMG, kidding, I would never say that.

    For my cycle I did start progesterone in oil shots prior to the transfer but not until much later than where you are right now. Apologies that I can't remember exactly when I started doing them... I want to say the day before the transfer and then every day thereafter? It was definitely that same week. Agreed that you should not go against doctors orders.

    Wishing you all the luck in the world. Remember, your body knows what it's doing. Talk to your doctor about concerns but also trust your body to get this done. Did your RE mention progesterone for later, or is this all the way natural?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No progesterone ever is the current plan. It seems kind of atypical...hmmm.

      Delete
  4. I did a natural fet but that doesn't mean I didn't take pio shots or estrace after o. The natural part is that the cycle isn't controlled. Ive seen some women on bcps and lupron and estrace for the first half and I find that part excessive. Pio just seems like a natural part of IVF to me. Not that I miss it now that I don't have to take it anymore! Lol. If you're uncomfortable, tell your re. Did your clinic ask you to monitor yourself with opks? I'm just curious as that would've been a source of stress for me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, OPKs it is, although they are still going to do an ultrasound and progesterone level to confirm ovulation.

      Delete
  5. I don't have any insights into a natural FET, but am coming over from ICLW and want to wish you the best for this cycle. I, too, do think that a natural cycle doesn't bar you from taking PIO, and I know I would get comfort from it even though the butt shots are far from pleasant. I wouldn't take any without mentioning to your RE, but maybe you more tell him than ask him that you are doing it? :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi, I am just stopping by from ICLW. I have just completed a natural FET cycle. I had exactly the same fears and worries as you do. I didn't trust my body one tiny bit. However, my fertility specialist assured me that there was no difference in the success rate between medicated and natural FETs. I also did an absolute ton of reading and couldn't find any evidence that medicated would be more likely to succeed than a natural. I didn't have any medication for my natural cycle at all. I was just monitored to determine when I would ovulate and then the embryos were transfered five days after ovulation. My body did seem to do what it was supposed to; I ovulated from a nice juicy follicle and my lining was great, but, sadly, I didn't get pregnant. Would I trust by body to do the job on its own again? Hmmmm......I just don't know. Wishing you the very best of luck.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi from ICLW. My local RE clinic doctors had mentioned that perhaps I should do a natural FET since I don't respond well to hormones. The clinic I'm using in a big city however, has told me to do medicated. I really hate the meds. Hope that your cycle goes well.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm kinda on the fence on this one. Your RE will definitely monitor you, and if there's any indication of low progesterone, they'll simply have you start taking it. On the other hand, taking progesterone yourself can't hurt a thing. If you're anxious enough about it, telling your RE you want to take progesterone is perfectly acceptable. :) I wish you much luck and am sending a ton of baby vibes!

    Happy ICLW (#34)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm interested to see how this goes for you, because if I were to do a FET I would definitely do it naturally. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi from ICLW. This one is tough. I understand wanting to do it naturally, but if it were me, I would take the progesterone. As someone who has low p4, I really am thankful for it. Good luck in whatever you decide to do.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hello from ICLW... as others have said I wouldn't do anything without discussing it with your doctor. That said, i wouldn't discount what you know to be true about your own body either. We have to be our own advocates during treatment so don't be afraid to ask for what you want/need. Good luck.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hello from ICLW! Best wishes with your FET!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hello, I'm here from ICLW and I wish you all the best in your FET. I hope you and your doctors have come to agreement and I hope this cycle brings your your little baby.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Stopping by for ICLW. I don't see anything wrong with taking the progesterone, but I definitely think you should let your doctor know if that's what you're going to do. I just hope that, whatever you choose, it feels right and you can find peace in the decision. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Dropping in from ICLW. I don't have any experience with IVF/FET (yet) so I can't really comment except to say that if it was on my mind I would talk to my doctor about it. Except if you know what your doctor is going to say, maybe get a second opinion, or if there's no harm in taking the progesterone just in case (I don't know much about it as I haven't had to take it), then maybe do that? Sorry, no helpful advice here.

    Will be wishing this FET is THE ONE for you!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hi from ICLW. Wishing you loads of luck in your FET!

    ReplyDelete