Monday, December 5, 2011

The Big O

Best time of the month, hands down? When the fertility monitor  shows me the little picture of an egg indicating that my egg is ready and waiting. 
It's the fun part, the part that The Hubby and I have spent so many years perfecting. 
We are hopeful, thinking that maybe, just maybe, this will be the time. This will be our month. This will really be The Big O...the 'O' that counts. The 'O' that makes us parents.

Progressively, this part of the cycle has also required a lot more effort to help it continue to be fun. Because, as we all know, anything can lose its appeal when it's something you have to do.
And it takes some skills to keep the spontaneity alive while worrying about ideal positioning for conception, fertility-friendly lube, and making sure I have an empty bladder so I can give those sperm ample time to swim before gravity takes its tole!

For me, ovulation is a time of hope. It's the one part of my cycle that I actually feel like I have some control over my infertility. I feel a little less helpless; not quite as much at the mercy of biology because we're doing something. And we're doing a LOT of it.

2 comments:

  1. That is the best time of the month! Unfortunately I only get that chance every 5 months or so. When I actually do ovulate the Hubby and I get so excited it gets really fun. Have FUN! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. That sounds remarkably familiar. Especially the part about feeling like this is the one part of your cycle you can control, that you're "doing something." We grow up being taught that if we try hard, we can achieve anything. Evidently our teachers never had fertility challenges. Still, I feel like we have that mindset. This is the time of the month where we can do SOMETHING. We can try harder. We can do everything perfectly and MAYBE we can succeed. Of course, on the flip side, when there isn't success after all we've tried...feels like studying for a test and going in thinking you'll ace it, but when you get the results it's a big fat F. I just have to keep thinking: Never give up.

    ReplyDelete