Sunday, May 26, 2013

Even Fertiles Are Obsessed With Fertility

Let me preface this post by saying that I attended a baby shower yesterday. And I was the only one who wasn't a.) pregnant b.) already 2 kids down or c.) less than two years old.
So now that you know my state of mind...

Everyone is obsessed with fertility. 

I was kind of not that into the whole baby shower thing yesterday, but I wasn't dreading it that much. My friend did not have an easy first pregnancy as she delivered at 30 weeks and had her baby in the NICU for over 2 months. I'm not sure why this gives her a hall pass in my book, but it does. Whatevs. 
The shower was filled with mostly people I didn't know that well and started out well; lots of small talk and niceties. Then the pregnant chick showed up. (The other pregnant chick...not the one being showered) I didn't strike up conversation with her right away, but couldn't help overhearing other people's conversations with her. How her shower is next week and how she was just in Europe not too long ago, and how she's having a girl, etc. But then the conversation turned to conception, as I realized it often does around the fertile crowd. 
Apparently they are newlyweds. They got pregnant like RIGHT away. They were trying, but "didn't think it would happen so gosh darn fast!" Me: "Wow. That's awesome". 
No joke, a direct quote from someone else at the party: "Oh my gosh! Me too! We were using those ovulation test thingys...do you guys know what those are?" Me: If you only knew...
"And anyways...they kept saying negative! I was so confused and though maybe I was broken or I was using them wrong. Nope! I was already pregnant! I guess you don't ovulate if you're already pregnant! hahaha"
Oh boy. At this point I was trying to exit stage right. 
But then a husband chimed in- "Yeah, we weren't even trying, but I guess my little guys are pretty determined! And the Mrs gets pregnant just by looking at me!"

Ugh. That's when I gagged.

So ladies, while we thought we were the only ones obsessed with our fertility...wrong! Those pesky fertiles like nothing more than to talk about how easy it was to get pregnant! 

There were several times in the flurry of conversations about how crazy fertile everyone was that I wanted to pipe in with a snarky remark like, "Weird...you got pregnant by having sex? That doesn't make you a overly fertile person...that makes you normal. Awesome, your wife is knocked up! That does not mean that your wiener works wonders or that your sperm have super powers. It makes you just an average Joe."

Obviously I'm a little sensitive about this, but I find it incredibly annoying how often people tout their fertility. I do not expect people to tiptoe around my fertility. Most people don't even know we are having issues. I just find it odd that pregnancy causes so much gloating.

Sorry, rant done.

8 comments:

  1. Major hugs, Emily. I so know how this feels and how annoying it is. I hope the food and snacks were at least good. :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. There's nothing more annoying than fertiles who are clueless and then brag about it! Love your comments to put them in place for being normal and not with super human powers.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Baby showers are tough. Sorry you had to hear so much bragging!

    ReplyDelete
  4. OMG this sounds like the kind of baby shower I would conjure up in my worst nightmare of a baby shower. Kudos to you for holding your tongue (I picture myself fleeing in a dramatic, tearful fit of anger). I couldn't believe it when a very fertile person I know admitting to using OPKs (you know, for like, that one month of absolute terror when she didn't get pregs) - I was like, those aren't for you! Stay off my turf!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Blech. This convo makes me want to take a shower. Sorry you had to endure it. :-P

    ReplyDelete
  6. I was at a shower just like this a long time ago. There were 3 pregnant women there, two babies, and I was the only non-mother. They talked about the same things, and nonstop about their labor and delivery, nursing, etc. I felt so out of place, I just kept my mouth shut the entire time. And the only person I knew was the guest of honor. I had to thankfully leave after an hour of torture.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Gawd! My husband has this overly obnoxious coworkerthe that got married awhile back and kept letting him and everyone else know that she was "going to get pregnant in September." Fertiles.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete