I have been quite quite on the blogging lately, mostly because nothing is happening.
Sometimes I think something is happening, but then we're left where we started.
Of note: The husband was diagnosed with a varicocele. The jury is out on whether it is impacting our baby-making, but I think yes. Meanwhile, he had his best semen analysis to date, so who knows...no surgery for now and everyone agrees that IVF is our best bet.
Currently we wait for insurance authorization for the IVF consultation. I'm not quite sure why the process takes so long and they pay so little, but I guess anything they cover is better than nothing, right?!
I'm guessing we'll start sometime in the early Fall, so now I'm starting to think about how many embryos to transfer if we have the choice to do more than one. The RE I chose is big into single embryo transfer for someone of my age, but part of me thinks if the odds are better with two, why wouldn't we do that? But then the NICU nurse in me slaps myself. Talk about an internal dilemma!
I'm also looking into endometriosis. I don't necessarily have any symptoms but my last RE mentioned that an exploratory lap to rule it out might not be a bad idea. Seems a little invasive...
I might try some diet modifications and see what acupuncture can do for me, just in case.
Any thoughts?
I'm glad you found out about your husband's varicocele. It may not be effecting him now but since you've decided to invest time and money in ivf, you should know what factors could effect it in the future. As far as embryo transfers go, its always a gamble with grades and stuff like that. My friend had 3 transfered at age 30 and none took, she had 3 transferred at age 32 and two took resulting in b/g twins that sadly didn't make it, and finally at age 34 she had an set at the insistence of the RE cause of fears of repeats with the twins and she is now 4 months today with a singleton. Its hard to predict what you'll end up with, but all it takes is one! I've heard great things about accupuncture. I use it to prevent migraine headaches but my office does fertility accupuncture and I do see a lot of pregnant ladies in the building so it must be doing something. I've been following you because you entered in the AMIGOS study and me and my husband will be starting our first cycle in 8 days. I prayed for your success and am so sorry it didn't work out. But good luck with the ivf. If AMIGOS doesn't work for us, we will be doing ivf as well.
ReplyDeleteGood luck with the AMIGOS study! It was wonderful and I wouldn't change a thing...except for our outcome! Were you randomized to injectables or oral meds?
DeleteThanks so much! We were very excited as well until today when I went in for the final consent forms and they told us we are essentially in "a race" to get our periods for the final spot in the study. They were given extra spots and found out this week they've been reduced to an extra 18 women. So I'm days away from my period and now have to hope that I get there before anyone else does. According to my nurse, we get randomized on day 3. We were looking forward to today's visit until we got this news. Me and dh discussed the possibiility of someone else getting there first and decided that we'll do a partial oop iui with injectibles no matter what. I just got the awful news of my SIL being 15 weeks pregnant yesterday and now this. Double whammy I guess. I feel better knowing we're still gonna do an iui, just sucks cause it would've been free with amigos. And how was your weekend? Lol
Delete-Kim
Hey Emily, You won my contest! Hope that brings you some luck! --> http://999reasonstolaugh.com/
ReplyDeleteBy the way, my husband has a varicocele as well. He had surgery with no improvements. IVF worked for us. We transferred two and got one. -Naomi
ReplyDeleteDoesn't sound like a whole lot of nothing to me. Wow, IVF in the fall! Exciting!
ReplyDeleteHey, I just started reading your blog. It's sooooo great to have other people out there who really understand what an emotional rollercoaster infertility is. We are just barely starting our second month of clomid so I don't have a any personal experience in IVF or other treatments yet. However, when my husband and I started looking into infertility specialists a lot of practices were offering deals on IVF (kinda twisted if you ask me). A few places said they'd do 3 rounds for the price of 2, or 3 rounds with money back if you don't conceive, or a discount for donating some eggs. IDK if that's something you already looked into or not but the tight-wad in me likes to be aware of those kinds of deals! Good Luck!
ReplyDelete- Sister K
PS is it alright if I add you to our blogs list?
An emotional roller coaster it is! Thanks for stopping by, add away :) I have heard of deals...weird but intriguing! Good luck!
Delete