I went in for my IVF consult last week and ended up being prescribed birth control pills. And not for IVF prep either.
I have had too many ultrasounds to count so I really didn't think much when the wand came out.
Ovaries, check.
Follicles, yup!
Uterus, still there!
But then the Dr. pointed out a little white strip in the center and said, "we'll talk about that later".
Hmm.
Once I was fully clothed and out of the stirrups, we met back in his office to discuss what we thought would be our future IVF course. Not quite.
Apparently I have a uterine septum. I have never heard of it, but it's been there my whole life. And causes lots of miscarriages. And needs to come out before IVF.
After lots and lots of internet research, it does indeed seem like a good idea to take it out, but it doesn't make this any better. We are looking at postponing IVF until 2013 because of the surgery, recovery, and holiday season.
Part of me is really sad about it and part of me is okay. I want a baby yesterday, not next year! At the same time, we're really busy through the Fall and have to buy a new house AND move in the next couple of months.
I'm mostly sad because I feel like, again, my body has betrayed me. Nothing about this experience is going to go as I wanted it to, and for a control freak like me, that is really scary.
I have so many mixed emotions right now.
I'm even having thoughts that maybe all of this was a blessing in disguise, I think it would have been even harder to have been pregnant and miscarried multiple times like often happens with a uterine septum. And even though the doctor and most research doesn't suggest it, maybe this is what has been keeping me from getting pregnant in the first place?
I don't know, I just wish things were different.
Oh, I'm so sorry to hear about the uterine septum. I know they happen all the time but it doesn't make it any easier to have a setback in your journey. The silver lining if there is one is that they've found it now and you can take care of it. Still, I know this isn't easy and I'm so sorry for that!
ReplyDeleteSo sorry about all you've been through, honey. But you're on your way to making your body ready for a potential pregnancy, and that's great. I think the excitement of buying a new house and moving will keep you busy enough that you won't go crazy in anticipation for the ivf. I know right now things seem so far away and you're sad. But there really is nothing you can do to change this. Try to use the time you have to relax, get everything done and enjoy some time with your hubby. Good luck and I'll be checking up on you! - Kim
ReplyDeleteI am so sorry, Emily. I've had 2 surgeries to correct my uterine septum. It is much better to have it removed for a safe pregnancy, but it does suck to have to wait. (Believe me, I know about waiting for fertility procedures.) Let us know when you are planning to have the removal surgery.
ReplyDeleteI'm sorry Hon. I know you are so bummed about not being able to start IVF, but like you said glad they found it before you could possibly have a MC. Now you really got me thinking, maybe that is why you can't get pregnant. It would be exciting if that is why. Wither way when you get it removed your chances will go up and that is awesome! Keep us posted. Praying everything goes smoothly.
ReplyDelete