Today was our screening appointment for the IUI study I mentioned we were looking into. We completed the pre-screening process already...it was quite intense! Today I had a metabolic panel drawn, Hubby had some blood sent as well (he doesn't remember what! Boys!), and we went over the study in depth for the second time. Then I had a transvaginal ultrasound done to rule out ovarian cysts and take measurements of my ovaries and check my antral follicle count. Good times, ladies, good times.
Now we wait.
As long as the labs are normal, we are in and we will start next cycle!
I was concerned (as many of you were) with being randomly assigned to a drug and potentially being assigned to injectable FSH. I still am concerned, but after hearing how stringently I will be monitored and reading the fifty page consent forms (yikes!) I am feeling much more comfortable with the idea. The supremely good news is that I can back out at any time, so if I was to be assigned to the "injectables" group I could still back out then. In the mean time, I am researching, researching, researching and we will also be consulting with the fertility clinic we were scheduled to meet with prior to all of this study business.
It's sinking in that this is our last month to "make it happen" before we move on to bigger (and more expensive and more invasive) things. I'm trying my best to NOT think about it and put pressure on us, because regardless of what happens, there is a plan.
I also can't help but think about how it feels a little like we're about to mess with biology. I know that I'm ready to pursue fertility treatments, but oh how I wish Mother Nature would just make it work instead. Sigh.
In case any of you are interested, check out the AMIGOS Study.
There are several sites participating throughout the country and the study follows you through four IUI medicated cycles (Letrazol, Clomid, or FSH).
Hopefully The Hubby and I will say "hola" to the AMIGOS study next month!
*If anyone has enrolled in the study, I would LOVE to talk to you!
Emily - I am so happy to have found your blog because everything you have written so far feels like I've written it! My husband and I are "patiently" waiting to see if we can get into the same/similar study in Michigan. We actually are hoping to get the injectables because we've already done 3 rounds of Clomid at a clinic. I was so nervous to even think about giving myself a shot, but I've heard the needles are really small - hoping that's true! We are just excited to potentially save thousands on drug and doctor bills - so fingers crossed we get in! I found out about the study through our local Resolve support group - what a great resource and would highly recommend going to one if it's an option for you. For me it was nice to see and talk to other couples who are going through what we are. It made me feel like I'm not the only one struggling and when I have a sad day I think of those other women, picture their faces, and know I am not alone. Good luck on your study and I look forward to reading about how it goes!
ReplyDeleteHi Rebecca, thanks for replying! I would love to hear how your journey goes as well. I'll have to look into Resolve...that sounds like something that would be really helpful!
DeleteI really hope whatever path you decide you are happy. I know I felt like I was messing with nature too. My Hubby and I had a bunch of long talks and he backed up the little part of me that felt like if it wasn't meant to be then there wouldn't be the option. Glad things are moving along and good luck!
ReplyDeleteHey Emily- I may be participating in the study.... I'm looking over the appt times, do they really take an hour, or are they just giving themselves extra time?
ReplyDeleteHey Emily- I may be participating in the study.... I'm looking over the appt times, do they really take an hour, or are they just giving themselves extra time?
ReplyDelete