Monday, December 9, 2013

Viability

I am 24 weeks and now to the point where the little one is considered "viable". As a NICU nurse, the idea of delivering anytime in the near future makes me sick to my stomach. The next few weeks are going to be a bit rough for me, mostly because while 24 weeks is in most cases viable, it is not always pretty. It has given me an interesting perspective on these Mommies that deliver RIGHT NOW. I cannot even fathom how it would feel to go into labor right now, so, so early with nothing prepared and be faced with so many hard decisions. Ugh. So, yeah, it's a scary time. 

This week everything started getting a bit real. We ordered our stroller and are so excited to have our first real baby item! I am also in full throws of nursery planning. I'm hoping to keep it pretty neutral, but also get some fun girly stuff mixed in. 

The belly definitely "popped" again this week!

5 comments:

  1. You look beautiful, Emily! And I'm with you, hopeful that baby girl stays put for quite sometime!

    ReplyDelete
  2. How exciting to have a stroller on the way!! My Godson was delievered around 24 weeks, and I really can't even imagine... Hopefully baby girl decides to keep cooking a lot longer! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. You look wonderful! I hope your baby stays put for a long time :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Emily! I see you must be past viability now and enjoying the holidays. This is such a wonderful milestone to reach, even if no woman in her right mind would want a child to be born this early. With my first pregnancy I yearned to reach viability, but unfortunately didn't make it. I went into labor with my twins at 20 weeks along and I'm sure you can guess how that turned out. It was a hard time of my life, but today I am blessed with a son born at almost 38 weeks last year. I'm sure you understand better than most what it means to keep that baby in as long as possible. It makes me smile just to see that much earned belly of yours. Come visit me if you get a chance!

    Alissa
    http://missconception-ads.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good point. I am totally thankful to have made it this far and (surprisingly) would be pleased as punch to have a 24 week baby over no baby at all. Perspective is always good to remember :)

      Delete